The MeDiA Co-op UPDATE
- Sun., Nov. 13 at 6 p.m.: Films By Andrei Tarkovsky
- Tues., Nov. 15 at 7:30 p.m.: Open Discussion on different filmmaking esthetics
- Sun., Nov. 20 at 6 p.m.: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price (http://www.walmartmovie.com)
- (The Films Of Fellini have been postponed)
- Tues., Nov. 22 at 7:30 p.m.: Open Forum for discussion about current projects
- Sun., Nov. 27 at 6 p.m.: "Celebration" by Thomas Vinterberg and "The Idiots" by Lars Von Trier
FREE TUESDAY NIGHT WORKSHOPS every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Thanks to all of you who have been attending, facilitating, or even thinking about the Tuesday night workshops at the MeDiA Co-op. Coming up on our fourth year of holding these workshops every Tuesday night we are changing the format up a bit and launching an educational program at the Co-op starting in the new year. Starting immediately, Tuesday nights are going to serve more as an open forum, a place for people to discuss films they're working on, a place to seek assistance for a production you're gearing up for or to let people know what you've learned about the projects you've completed.
SUNDAY NIGHT FILM SCREENINGS every Sunday at 6 p.m.
We officially launched our ESSENTIAL FILM SERIES to take place every Sunday night at 6 p.m. for a measly 3 bucks. These films will be scheduled in advance and advertised secretly through flyers that you can find at places like BlackLodge Video and Otherlands. This film series will feature great directors from international and American cinema, from the past and present. Each screening will be accomodated by a lecture. Some screenings will also be lectures on film history, with clips and the like. We will be encouraging people from the community to become engaged and be a part of this by selecting films and filmmakers they know a lot about and curate a night of the ESSENTIAL FILM SERIES.
The Co-op now offers four tiers of membership ranging from simple use of office space/internet/printers, to access to a G4 with editing and design software, to access to a miniDV camera/boom mic/boom pole/various low-grade lights/tripod. We also have a Patron Membership where if you donate $100 to the Co-op you can get discounts for workshops and screenings throughout the year at the Co-op. If you have more questions, please email Tim at firstname.lastname@example.org or Andrew at email@example.com
1ST ANNUAL FILMMAKERS CONFERENCE
To celebrate our fourth year of being a part of the film community of Memphis after First Congregational so graciously accepted us into their wonderful building, we will be launching the FIRST ANNUAL MID-SOUTH INDEPENDENT FILMMAKERS CONFERENCE in March. The conference will be a multiday event with workshops, panels and screenings. There will also be an audition similar to the UPTAs where film actors can audition in front of a panel of directors. Through this conference we hope to unite the independent film community in the surrounding area. We hope to establish the following goals through this project:
- The creation of the MIFD: Memphis Independent Filmmakers Database: A database of all the local directors, producers, actors and others, Including a listing of every film created in this city and who's worked on what and where.
- A Library of all locally produced works.
- The initiation of an info-list serve where the local film community can stay in touch with what's going on, including auditions, screenings, need to assist with crew, and so on.
We will start requesting information from individuals soon to get some of these projects off the ground. Please let us know if you'd like to help with this in any way.
The Memphis Digital Arts Co-op
1000 S. Cooper Memphis TN 38104
MeDiA Co-op blog